Celebrating 10 Years of Making a Difference!
Through awareness, action and advocacy initiatives, we have achieved a great deal to advance our mission to protect the environment and mobilize the community to create a healthier, more environmentally responsible city.
- Inspired more than 7000 children to "grow up green" through our Kids Go Green Workshops
- Established Burlington’s first Youth Environmental Network, receiving Provincial recognition for our innovative program, with participation from students from all high-schools
- Presented 7 Eco-Film Festivals screening 34 award winning documentaries to citizens throughout Burlington
- Brought world-renowned eco-heroes, such as Dr. Jane Goodall, to Burlington inspiring thousands of audience members at 5 major Youth Summit & Eco-Awards events
- Informed thousands of Burlington/Halton residents about environmental issues and opportunities to take action locally through our community outreach program
- Created this user-friendly, local focused website resource providing a wealth of eco information, tips and tools to help make it easy for individuals, schools, groups and businesses to learn about and reduce their environmental footprint
- A decade of interactive community engagement with a growing audience of 6000 via our e-newsletter subscribers and social media followers.
- The co-ordination of 6 annual citywide Community Clean Up events where 63,000 participants have retrieved litter from Burlington’s parks, streams and neighbourhoods
- Planted more than 11,750 native trees and shrubs and 15,000 plants and grasses in Burlington communities
- Established the City's first public community garden as well as the innovative Grow to Give program where volunteers have harvested more than 4600 lbs. (2086 kg) of healthy, organic produce for distribution to local food banks
- Provided our impactful Event Greening service for 45 major festivals and events resulting in the diversion of 60,900 kg (almost 61 tonnes) of waste from going to the landfill
- Provided a diversity of rewarding volunteer opportunities to citizens of all ages (particularly youth), to actively participate in local eco-action projects.
- Launched a Community 20/20 program to link land owners and developers to innovative green design and building practices
- Spoken up for justice for the environment on approximately 100 issues to date
- Led a 1 year campaign reaching 10,000 citizens about the preservation of green space, bylaws to protect urban trees, putting a stop to development on prime farmland, the conservation of natural habitat, and advancing a plan for effective, sustainable transportation
- Collaborated with the David Suzuki Foundation to enshrine the right to clean air and water, safe food and a healthy environment in the Charter of Rights and Freedoms
- Helped rescue 11 acres of urban green space from development
- Successfully convinced the City to establish a Strategic Land Acquisition Policy & Fund to protect at-risk green space
- Collaborated with Environmental Defence leading the local campaign opposed to Enbridge Line 9 Pipeline proposal
- Initiated the City’s development of a Community Energy Plan for Burlington
- Key contributor to various environmental Coalitions such as Stop the Escarpment Highway, Trumpeter Swans and the Rural Burlington Greenbelt Coalition
- Spearheaded the discontinuation of the sale of bottled water at city facilities
- Key contributor to the development of the City’s Urban Forest Management Plan
- Provision of solution-focused strategies and measurables to improve various City Master Plans, land-use planning proposals, policies as well as the City’s first 25-year Strategic Plan
- Engaged citizens in climate change action planning and coordinated comprehensive input to federal, provincial and municipal governments.
awards & recognitions
2016 - BurlingtonGreen nominated for 2016 Conservation Halton's Conservation Award of Excellence for our Community Clean Up Green Up event
2016 - BurlingtonGreen's former Board President and current volunteer, Ken Woodruff was the recipient of the 2015 Burlington's Best (Environmental) award - link
2015 - BurlingtonGreen a finalist in Earth Day Canada's "Hometown Heroes" environmental achievement awards - link (see "Group Award" tab)
2015 - BurlingtonGreen nominated for 2015 Conservation Halton's Conservation Award of Excellence for our Community Clean Up Green Up event
2015 - Susan Fraser (BG Co-Founder and Board Director) recipient of Burlington's Best Environmental Award & BG Volunteer Monte Dennis, a nominee of Burlington's Best Environmental Award -link
2015 - Burlington Business Awards Finalist
2014 - BurlingtonGreen receives 2nd place and People's Choice Award in City of Burlington Video Contest.
2013 - BurlingtonGreen places third in National Jamieson's Call for the Wild! Contest - link & link
2013 - Kale Black (BG Program Co-ordinator) receives 14th place in The Starfish Top 25 Environmentalist Under 25 in Canada - link
2013 - Amy Schnurr (BG Co-Founder and Executive Director) receives 2013 Burlington's Best Environmental Award page 76-link
2013 - BurlingtonGreen receives Mayor's Community Service Award at the Burlington Business Awards - video link
2013 - BurlingtonGreen's community garden plot wins 2nd place in the Terra Greenhouse Purple Pepper Best Edible Garden people's choice award
2012 - Barbara Frensch (BG Volunteer) nominated for Burlington's Civic Award for Environmental Achievement
2012 - Susan Fraser (BG Co-Founder and Board of Director) nominated for Burlington's Civic Award for Environmental Achievement
2012 - Michelle Bennett (BG Go Local Food Network Co-ordinator and community volunteer) receives City of Burlington Environmentalist of the Year Award!
2012 - BurlingtonGreen nominated for Conservation Halton's Conservation Award of Excellence
2012 - BurlingtonGreen Youth Network places third in Province wide People's Choice contest -link
2011 - Kale Black (BG Youth Program Co-ordinator) nominated in The Starfish Top 25 Environmentalist Under 25 - link
2011 - BurlingtonGreen nominated for Conservation Halton's Conservation Award of Excellence
2011 - Kale Black (BG Youth Program Co-ordinator) recipient of Conservation Halton's Conservation Award of Excellence
2010 - BurlingtonGreen nominated for Burlington's Civic Award for Environmental Achievement
2009 - Amy Schnurr (BG Co-Founder and Executive Director) nominated for Burlington's Civic Award for Environmental Achievement
2009 - Kurt Koster (BG Co-founder and President) recipient of Burlington's Civic Award for Environmental Achievement
Join us in making a positive difference.
Become a supporting Member today!