Climate Change is the most defining crisis of our time, affecting all of us and all life we share the earth with.
In early 2020, the City of Burlington established a Climate Action Plan following up on the climate emergency it declared a year earlier, joining cities around the world in recognizing the necessity to act with urgency on this global crisis.
The City’s Climate Action Plan charts a path forward to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in Burlington and we know that it will take all of us fortunate to live and work in this city actively adopting greener practices if we are to achieve the shared goal of ensuring a healthy, livable, resilient community.
making a difference together
Together with all sectors of the community, BurlingtonGreen and our Youth Network, have been tackling climate change locally for many years. Now more than every before, we must forge ahead together to address the interrelated climate and ecological crises to achieve a healthy, resilient environment for now, and for the future.
Here are some ways that you can join us in making a difference here in Burlington:
Adopt a low-carbon living lifestyle
- Learn how by checking out our Make the Switch program and Live Green, Zero-Waste , Event Greening resources where we provide locally-focused solutions through tips, presentations, contests, and events.
Speak up for positive change
- Support governments and leaders who are prioritizing action on the climate emergency and ecological crisis, with your valued vote, and influence decision-making ongoing by speaking up on issues, and by joining the Burlington Community Climate Action Hub, and the BG Youth Network to learn about and amplify solutions.
Advance natural solutions
- Participate in hands-on local action opportunities such as Community Clean Up Green Up and Nature-Friendly Burlington to help clean, green and beautify Burlington while having some fun along the way!
Inspire others to grow collective impact
- Many local residents, groups and businesses are leading the way with their green lifestyles, initiatives and solutions. Discover their stories and share yours at Community Spotlight.
Listen, learn and share
- One of the most important actions we can all continually do is to have conversations with others about climate change to exchange ideas, opportunities, and solutions (such as those listed above).
Together, we can create positive change for a better today and for a brighter future. Check out the Around the Kitchen Table: Discussing Climate Change With Others webinar hosted by the Bay Area Climate Change Council of which BurlingtonGreen is a founding member.
Networks, Resources & Inspiration:
- Climate Change: Listen, Learn & Take Action (Nov 2021 webinar)
- Ten Ways You Can Help Fight Climate Change
- Burlington Community Climate Hub
- Project Drawdown
- BGYN (BurlingtonGreen Youth Network)
- City of Burlington Climate Action
- C40 Mayors Agenda for Green & Just Recovery ( video)
- How to reduce your carbon footprint
- Nature-based Climate Solutions Toolkit
- C40 Cities
- Bay Area Climate Change Council
- Climate Reality Project Canada
- Future Ground Network
- Halton Climate Collective