For the past 5 years the BurlingtonGreen Youth Network (BGYN) has been working with Burlington Transit on an innovative program designed to promote sustainable forms of transportation in our Burlington high schools.
This is one of the first programs of its kind – a transit authority, a community environmental organization, and local youth working together in partnership to increase student ridership, for a more sustainable future.
If YOU apply to become a BT YA, you will be working with Burlington Transit to...
- Promote special offers and programs in your school including World Car Free Day and Earth Day promotions as well as promoting transit tools such as the PRESTO Pass and how to easily "Google-Map" your transit routes
- Occasionally conduct surveys and solicit feedback from students at your school.
- Provide ideas to Burlington Transit to generate ridership as well as plan and implement initiatives in your school.
- Attend BT YA! team meetings (approximately every 6-8 weeks during the school year), working with staff mentors from BurlingtonGreen & Burlington Transit to create and implement transit promotional campaigns (all training, promotional materials and support provided).
Still can't visualize what you might be doing as a Youth Ambassador?
Learn more about the BT YA program by watching our latest promo video:
Now you may be asking, what's in it for me?
If you are selected to be one of two BT YA!s for your school, you will...
- Receive a signing bonus including a $50 pre-loaded Presto Pass, BT YA! T-shirt, a City of Burlington Swim & Skate Pass and more!
- EARN REWARDS! The BT YA! program has a Tier-based Reward System. Simply put, the more you do to promote transit in your school, the more rewards you can earn. *You could receive rewards like movie tickets & gift cards to items like digital E-readers!
- Have the opportunity to win $$$ rewards for your school Eco-club to go towards environmental initiatives. We award a $250 prize for each of our two larger campaigns as well as a $1000 grand prize at the end of the school year.
- Contribute to a healthier environment by encouraging active and public transportation in your school community.
- Gain great "real-life"experience working with a community organization which can be highlighted on your resume and through reference letters written by BurlingtonGreen and/or Burlington Transit.
- Earn volunteer hours for all of your work outside of school hours including BT YA! meetings (work done on a spare period or lunch period may be eligible for volunteer time as well).
How to apply:
REMEMBER, there are only 2 spots available per high school, so make sure you apply today!