We connect youth from across the City with each other and with local opportunities to make a positive impact on the environment. We aim to create the next generation of local eco-heroes through youth mentoring youth, environmental leadership opportunities and participation in tree planting, event greening and more.
By sharing ideas, resources, successes and by working together on school and community eco-projects, we can have a greater impact with a louder voice.
After all, it is OUR collective future.
By joining the BurlingtonGreen Youth Network (BGYN), you can:
- Get involved in the planning of BurlingtonGreen's Youth Environmental Summit: "Imprints: Make your Mark, Leave no Trace"
- Attend monthly meetings with guest presenters & snacks.
- Share ideas and work on projects as a team.
- Volunteer with our community partners helping the planet through eco-action projects like event greening, habitat stewardship (invasive species removals, native tree plantings) and community clean ups.
- Meet new friends who care about the environment...and have fun, too!
Check out this video we created when our Network was nominated for a Provincial People's Choice Award!
What do BGYN members have to say about the Network?
My experiences with the Youth Network have truly transformed...
"My experiences with the Youth Network have truly transformed me as a person, and have positively influenced many other youth like me. The BurlingtonGreen Youth Network is what I describe as a powerful grassroots catalyst for very real and exciting youth-led action in improving the environment both locally and globally...I believe that the Network is a deeply vital and necessary program for the present and future well-being of the community. Aside from its crucial role in facilitating action by youth for the environment, the most precious element of the Network is its unique ability to creatively instill an unyielding spirit and drive and motivation and potential in each youth who participates in the program."
–Andrew Wong, BG Youth Network alumnus
My experience as a BGYN member has been the absolute most motivating...
"My experience as a BGYN member has been the absolute most motivating, empowering, educational and impactful volunteer opportunity I've ever had to date. This organization has influenced my life in more ways than I ever thought possible. Most importantly it has enabled me to find full potential in my passion for the environment…One of the most memorable experiences I have with the BGYN was helping to organize Burlington’s first Environmental Youth Conference. Working with an innovative team to plan and run a day of environmental action and inspiration for 400 youth was an invaluable teamwork, event planning and organizing experience. There is nothing else like the BurlingtonGreen Youth Network."
–Zofia Smeja, BG Youth Network alumna
BurlingtonGreen’s tireless commitment to engaging youth...
"BurlingtonGreen’s tireless commitment to engaging youth as today’s environmental leaders is truly inspiring. As a professional Community Worker who has worked with youth in a range of non-profit sectors, I have been absolutely astounded with the energy and devotion BGYN’s youth members have invested in creating and encouraging positive environmental change. By offering youth-focused environmental programming that provides youth with valuable skills and opportunities, BurlingtonGreen not only has positive impacts on the natural environment, but also in the lives and futures of young people; they are truly “EcoMentors” in every sense of the word."
–Josh Stevenson, EcoMentors Program Manager, Earth Day Canada
BGYN EVERY MONTH AT MEC!
Our youth meetings are typically held the first Thursday of every month from 4:30 pm – 6:30 pm at Mountain Equipment Co-op store's community room (please check our BGYN Facebook page for confirmation of the date). Thanks to MEC we have a great space for us to meet, and all of our meetings are zero waste so please bring your own re-usable water bottle for your drink. We provide the snacks!
- “I think this is amazing, I always look forward to the meetings. Something like this is long overdue!”
- “I wish it were more than once a month!”
- “My favourite things about the Network are collaborating with other youth and all the volunteer opportunities.”
- “It's the best way to meet with environmental club members from schools in Burlington to share ideas.”
- "The BGYN is all about working together to work smarter not harder! There are 9 high schools in Burlington and if we all work together to achieve our common goals we'll be a lot more effective than if we went at it separately! Everyone is welcome, just contact me to get involved!"