There are many actions you can take as an individual to help make Burlington a cleaner, greener more environmentally responsible city. In addition to taking steps to live more softly on the Earth, we invite you to participate in our various events and programs and share your valuable input for our advocacy campaigns so we can speak up for the rights of the environment with a strong, united voice.
“You cannot get through a single day without having an impact on the world around you.
What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make.”
To help “grow” a more environmentally aware and responsible city, BurlingtonGreen provides a variety of educational and entertaining programs, events and services designed to help YOU help the planet locally.
- Attend our Eco-Film Festival events to learn about global environmental issues and how you can help address them here in Burlington.
- Halton teachers and youth from grades 7 to 12 are invited to attend our Youth Eco Summit and everyone is invited to attend our special Eco-Awards Celebration where both audiences will be inspired by empowering keynote speakers.
- Children are invited to participate in our Kids Go Green workshops to have fun while learning they can make a positive difference to help the planet.
- Our popular BGYN (BurlingtonGreen Youth Network) program connects youth from across the city with each other and to local volunteer opportunities to help create a cleaner, greener environment.
- Check out our Green Living Tips page to discover more ideas to help you live more softly on the Earth.
- Visit our "BurlingtonGreen outreach booth" at a variety of events in Burlington and Halton throughout the year to learn more about us and how you can get involved.
- Visit our Facebook page and Events Calendar to learn about eco-focused events and programs in Halton and you can also send us a request to post your eco-event here.
While individual actions to lead a greener lifestyle are needed to rescue the health of our planet, in order to ensure actions are sustainable, we must advocate to government at all levels to ensure the health of the environment is a top priority.
BurlingtonGreen is making an effort to listen to the eco issues that concern you and bring them to the attention of our elected officials. In doing so, it is our goal to raise the platform of the environment so that decision making, laws, necessary funding and resulting actions will create a better future for generations to come.
- Speak up for the rights of the environment by learning about environmental issues that matter to you and share your valued viewpoint with our elected officials.
- Let us know your opinion on issues BurlingtonGreen is currently focusing on and how you can help to get bylaws and policies in place to help protect the rights of the environment. Check out our Greenprint for the Future advocacy program and complete our super brief survey here.
- Do you have a local environmental issue that is not captured in our Greenprint for the Future program that you believe should be brought to the attention of our elected officials? Send us a note here to let us know.
- Not sure how to get your voice heard by our elected officials on an issue that matters to you? Check out our helpful advocacy tips page here.
- If you are someone with an interest in environmental issues who likes to follow local politics, we can use your help. Please contact us.
- For a history of our advocacy efforts so far, please visit our Advocacy Archives page here.
BurlingtonGreen invites you to do your part to try and live a greener lifestyle and participate in community efforts to create a more environmentally responsible city.
Below are some local opportunities where you can get involved to help make a positive difference:
- Sign up to participate in our annual citywide Clean Up Green Up held in April, in honour of Earth Day. Each year, more than 10,000 people participate in retrieving litter from Burlington parks, creeks, school yards and neighbourhoods helping to keep our city clean and beautiful.
- You don't have to wait until April to clean up your community. You can organize your own clean-up, which is both rewarding and fun. We have a handy Healthy Habitat resource to help you plan your clean-up activity from start to finish.
- We also offer a Green Up event typically held in May each year in an effort to restore the ecological balance of a selected area within the community. YOU as a member of the community can sign up to participate in the stewardship activities (native shrub and tree planting, invasive plant removals) at this popular event.
- Burlington is fortunate to be the home of an impressive line-up of events and festivals each year. Unfortunately, large event crowds result in a lot of waste being produced that makes its way to the Halton landfill. You can take action locally by volunteering with our Event Greening Eco-Action team to ensure waste is sorted and diverted from the landfill.
- BurlingtonGreen is proud to have established the first public community garden in Burlington in partnership with the City. The City now manages multiple community gardens while BG operates an innovative Grow to Give program where we invite volunteers to plant, maintain and harvest healthy, organic produce to deliver to local food banks. You can learn more about the Grow To Give Garden here.
More ways to make a difference...
- Become a BG Member. We can't do all the important work we do without the support of our members. Join us today! Learn more here.
- Make a Donation. We stretch every dollar we receive to the maximum benefit to help the environment. No donation is too small! Learn more here.
- Stay Connected. Sign up today to receive our FREE e-news so you can learn about local eco issues and opportunities to get involved.
- Volunteer. Share your time and talents with us and be a part of rewarding, impactful initiatives that create a better Burlington. Learn more here.