Are you a member of a community group or church located in Burlington that is taking action to benefit the health of the environment? If so, we want to hear from YOU! Putting the spotlight on the great work local groups are doing to help make a positive difference in the community is important and can inspire others to do the same. If you're looking for green tip ideas, we can help you with that, too.
"Never doubt that a small group of people can change the world – indeed it is the only thing that ever has!"
To help “grow” a more environmentally aware and responsible city, BurlingtonGreen provides a variety of educational and entertaining programs, events and services designed to help your group help the planet locally.
- Children's groups can participate in our Kids Go Green workshops to have fun while learning how they can make practical changes to their lifestyle habits to help the planet locally.
- Our popular Eco-Film Festival engages audiences to learn about global environmental issues and how they can help address them here in Burlington.
- Share our Green Living Tips with your group members to discover ideas on how they can live more softly on the Earth.
- Our award winning BGYN (BurlingtonGreen Youth Network) program connects youth from across the city which each other and links them to local eco-action projects where they can make a positive difference benefiting the health of the environment.
- Attend our Eco-Awards Celebration to get inspired by empowering keynote speakers and local Eco-heros. You can also nominate an individual, group, school or business in Burlington that is doing great work to help the local environment!
- Let us know if you are hosting an event and would like the "BG outreach booth" and one of our friendly team members to attend. Contact us here. Note: we receive many requests and have to limit the number of events we can attend each year.
- Visit our Facebook page and Events Calendar to learn about eco-focused events and programs in Halton and you can also send us a request to post your eco-event here.
BurlingtonGreen strives to listen to the eco issues that concern the community with an aim to bring them to the attention of our elected officials. In doing so, it is our goal to raise the platform of the environment so that decision making, laws, necessary funding and resulting actions will create a better future for generations to come.
- Speak up for the rights of the environment by learning about environmental issues that matter to you & your group and share your valued viewpoint with our elected officials.
- Let us know your opinion on issues BurlingtonGreen is currently focusing on and how you can help to get bylaws and policies in place to help protect the rights of the environment. Check out our Greenprint for the Future program and complete our super brief survey here.
- Does your group have a local environmental issue that is not captured in our Greenprint for the Future program that you believe should be brought to the attention of our elected officials? Send us a note here to let us know.
- Not sure how to get your voice heard by our elected officials on an issue that matters to your group? Check out our helpful advocacy tips page here.
- For a history of our advocacy efforts so far, please visit our Advocacy Archives page here.
BurlingtonGreen invites your group to participate in community efforts to create a more environmentally responsible city.
- Sign up your group to participate in our annual citywide Community Clean Up Green Up event held in April, in honour of Earth Day. Each year, more than 10,000 people participate in retrieving litter from Burlington parks, creeks, school yards and neighbourhoods helping to keep our city clean and beautiful.
- You don't have to wait until April to clean up your community. Your group can organize your own clean up which is both rewarding and fun. We have a handy Healthy Habitats resource to help you plan your clean up activity from start to finish.
- We also offer a Green Up event typically held in May each year in an effort to restore the ecological balance of a selected area within the community. Your group can sign up to participate in the stewardship activities ( native shrub and tree planting and invasive plant removals) at this popular & rewarding event.
- Burlington is fortunate to be the home of an impressive line -up of events and festivals each year. Unfortunately, large event crowds result in a lot of waste being produced that makes its way to the Halton landfill. Your group can take action locally by volunteering with our Event Greening Eco-Action team to ensure waste is sorted and diverted from the landfill.
- BurlingtonGreen is proud to have established the first public community garden in Burlington in partnership with the City. The City now manages multiple community gardens while BG operates an innovative Grow to Give program where we invite volunteers to plant, maintain and harvest healthy, organic produce to deliver to local food banks. You can learn more about how your group can support the initiative Grow To Give Garden program here.
More Ways to Make a Difference...
- Sign your group up for a BG Membership. We can't do all the important work we do without the support of our members. Join us today! Learn more here.
- Make a Donation. We stretch every dollar we receive to the maximum benefit to help the environment. No donation is too small! Learn more here.
- Stay Connected.Sign up today to receive our FREE e-news so you and your group can learn about local eco issues and opportunities to get involved.
- Volunteer. Share the time and talents of your group with us and be a part of rewarding, impactful initiatives that create a better Burlington. Learn more here.