Operating an environmentally responsible business is not only good for the environment, but businesses that go green can also save money and provide a healthier workplace for employees, too. Opportunities for businesses to go green are ever increasing and needed more than ever before. BurlingtonGreen recognizes leaders in sustainability at our Eco-Awards Celebration and we offer a popular Event Greening service as well.
"If we pollute the air, water and soil that keep us alive and well,
and destroy the biodiversity that allows natural systems to function,
no amount of money will save us."
BurlingtonGreen provides a variety of educational and entertaining programs, events and services designed to help citizens, groups, schools and businesses get involved to help the planet locally.
- Invite your colleagues and employees to attend our Eco-Film Festival to learn about global environmental issues and how they can help tackle them back at the workplace and in the community. Your company can also sponsor one of our popular film events or the entire Eco-Film Festival that is offered all year long! Contact us here to learn more about sponsorship opportunities.
- Check out our Green Living Tips page to discover more ideas to help you live more softly on the Earth.
- Every few years, we host an incredible Eco-Awards Celebration to recognize local eco-heros and businesses that are taking action to benefit the health of the environment. The popular event takes place in the evening following a daytime Youth Eco-Summit with both events featuring an inspirational keynote speaker. World renowned speakers we have brought to the Burlington stage include Jane Goodall, Severn Suzuki, Robert Bateman and Sharkwater's Rob Stewart! Stay tuned as we will be posting our plans for our next event soon along with information about how to nominate your business for an Eco-Award.
- Visit our Facebook page and Events Calendar to learn about eco-focused events and programs in Halton. You can also send us a request to post your eco-event here.
BurlingtonGreen strives to listen to the eco issues that concern the community with an aim to bring them to the attention of our elected officials. In doing so, it is our goal to raise the platform of the environment so that decision making, laws, necessary funding and resulting actions will create a better future for generations to come.
Our advocacy efforts have resulted in...
- Rescuing 11 acres of green space from development
- Establishing a Strategic Land Acquisition Policy & Fund
- Discontinuing the sale of bottled water at city facilities
- Improving the objectives of the City’s Urban Forest Management Plan
- Ensuring a Community Energy Program was included in the City’s Strategic Plan…and more
Let us know your opinion on issues BurlingtonGreen is currently focusing on and how you can help to get bylaws and policies in place to help protect the rights of the environment. Check out our Greenprint for the Future program and invite your colleagues and employees to complete our super brief survey here.
For a history of our advocacy efforts so far, please visit our Advocacy Archives page here.
BurlingtonGreen invites your employees and company to participate in and/or sponsor our many opportunities that help to create a more environmentally responsible city.
- Sign up your business to participate in our annual citywide Community Clean Up Green Up event held in April, in honour of Earth Day. Each year, more than 10,000 people including many businesses, participate in retrieving litter from Burlington parks, creeks, school yards and neighbourhoods helping to keep our city clean and beautiful.
- You don't have to wait until April to clean up your workplace and community. Your company can organize your own clean up by using our handy Healthy Habitat resource.
- We also offer a Green Up event typically held in May each year in an effort to restore the ecological balance of a selected area within the community. Stewardship activities include native shrub and tree planting, invasive plant removals, and litter collection. Because registration space is limited, we cannot accept registrations of large groups, but we encourage interested individual employees to sign up and get involved in this very rewarding experience.
- Burlington is fortunate to be the home of an impressive line-up of events and festivals each year. Unfortunately, large event crowds result in a lot of waste being produced that makes its way to the Halton landfill. We are always in need of local volunteers to help with our event greening service to ensure waste is properly sorted and diverted from the landfill. You can learn more about our popular Event Greening Service here.
- BurlingtonGreen is proud to have established the first public community garden in Burlington in partnership with the City. The City now manages multiple community gardens while BG operates an innovative Grow to Give program where we invite volunteers to plant, maintain and harvest healthy, organic produce to deliver to local food banks. You can learn more about the Grow To Give Garden program here.
More ways to make a difference...
- BG Membership. We can't do all the important work we do without the support of our members. Join us today! Learn more here.
- Make a Donation. Become an Eco-Program Sponsor. We have accomplished many impactful initiatives with the support of corporate sponsorship & donations. Learn how you can join our growing list of supporters here.
- Stay Connected. Sign up today to receive our FREE e-news so you can learn about our programs, events, local eco issues and opportunities to get involved.
- Volunteer. We invite you to share our various volunteer opportunities with your colleagues and employees so that, together, we can create a cleaner, greener Burlington.Learn more here.