Our mission is to protect the environment and mobilize the community to make Burlington a healthy, environmentally responsible city.
Our vision is that everyone in Burlington recognizes that we are all connected to, and dependent on the environment and acts on this understanding to ensure a quality of life and a sustainable future.
Respect for Nature — We are a part of nature and must live in harmony with it.
Leadership — We provide positive, effective, and educational leadership.
Integrity — We operate with transparency, accountability, professionalism and with a solution focus.
Steadfastness — We stand by our convictions and strive for our goals.
Inclusiveness — We welcome those who share the vision and values of our organization.
Our Goals & Strategies:
We employ the vehicles of advocacy, action, and awareness in the following ways to achieve our goals and support our mission:
Establish environmental rights and justice
- Inform the community of environmental issues and engage their support in advocating for laws, policies, and necessary funding at all levels of government;
- Employ the three pillars of sustainability (people, planet, and profit) in a solution-focused framework for our advocacy research and recommendations.
Create liveable communities
- Advocate for the protection of parkland, green space, and the Niagara Escarpment as a valuable source for connecting people to nature;
- Advocate for and promote transit-oriented development and pedestrian and cycle-friendly transportation options;
- Provide solution focused input to the city’s key planning documents and master plans with a three pillar and integrated approach;
- Establish community pilot projects and programs based on green innovation design and principles to inspire citywide buy-in (i.e. community gardens, renewable energy projects).
Engage and empower the community
- Host and deliver inspiring, educational eco-focused events and programs for all sector audiences;
- Provide rewarding volunteer opportunities for participation by all sectors;
- Provide a citywide eco-network for youth.
Protect our climate
- Help citizens and local sectors lower their ecological footprint via awareness of energy conservation and clean energy solutions through practical, effective, results oriented programs and take action initiatives;
- Advocate for and collaborate with municipal staff and community stakeholders to effectively advance the objectives of the community energy plan.
Protect nature’s biodiversity
- Advocate for the rights and protection of nature’s biodiversity;
- Host, support, and participate in local habitat restoration projects;
- Host educational events and deliver programs highlighting the importance of biodiversity.
Create a cleaner city
- Advocate for zero waste policies and strategies supportive of a cradle-to-cradle philosophy;
- Host, support, and participate in community and citywide clean-up activities and events;
- Host educational events and deliver programs highlighting the importance of (and opportunities for) reduction, reuse, recycling, and recovery.
Strengthen our capacity & impact
- Leverage our physical, financial, and human resources to provide maximum benefit to the advancement of our mission;
- Ensure current and new initiatives, and team decision making remain focused on (and advance) our mission;
- Create and advance effective fundraising plans and operate with sound financial planning;
- Grow our human resource (staff and volunteer) capacity with strategic and effective recruitment, planning, management, and recognition practices.
Join us in making a positive difference...
Become a supporting Member today!